Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Update

Haven't posted here in a year and a bit, I may as well write something in here while I'm waiting for people in Italy to wake up so I can bombard them with ads. (I'll explain below) Last year was probably my least productive year in terms of making music since I started. I did however spend a lot of time expanding my musical knowledge, taste etc. so I think that is just as valuable.

But since my last blog I've finished university and I am currently working as a direct response marketer. For those who don't know, if you've seen ads online, in the newspaper, magazines etc. for weight loss products, as seen on TV products, dating websites, surveys etc. online, there's a good chance I'm the scumbag who made ad whilst getting a cut of the action if the poor soul decides to buy "Hip-hop abs" by Shaun T.

Pros of this "job" are that you can work from home, which is good for me because I've never been a 9-5 type dude and never will be. Another pro would be the potential chedda, I guess there is a lot of monetary potential, but I just like making money without some Lumberg dude complaining about my TPS reports.
Cons I guess is the "isolation" of working long hours in solitude, which I'm used to anyway and is probably pro for me, but con for many others. Being your own boss can be a con, procrastination becomes a real problem sometimes. And thats about it. Oh and another con is trying to explain to people IRL how its possible to make $ on a computer while alt tabbing between work and COD Black Ops.

But the MAIN pro is, that I have found myself more time to make MUSIC and pursue other creative endeavors, which is very important to me.

Anyway, As for music, I may as well post something I did THIS YEAR. I consider myself my own worst critic and hate 90-95% of what I make. This is actually no exception but its the only one with a semi-interesting story behind it. I'll post some good stuff when I get my proper website going.



Of course you have heard the song above right? It's Kate Miller-Heidke's "The Last Day On Earth" I'm pretty sure its Australian, but anyway I heard it on a drive home and was kind of diggin' the vibe because it was pretty deep shit. In particular I loved one of the lines about "starts exploding" or some shit like that. Then I said to myself, I bet I could flip that mothersucker into a dope beat. So I went home, bought (downloaded illegally) the track and 1 hour later came up with this.


Not bad, I actually managed to make it sound pretty grimey and gutter with the classic boom-bap hip hop style with a spacey feel to it. I didn't use much of the sample and the execution is pretty meh. It didn't turn out as well as I hoped and I could probably improve on it, but I probably won't and just move on to the next project.

Well, that does it for my blog. I'm planning to launch a proper website though instead of this blogger nonsense. I've been saying it for 2 years but with the time I have on my hands now, I can probably do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment