Saturday, August 8, 2009

4 Years

I haven't posted in about month and I haven't been doing much music so I thought it would be a good time to reflect about my musical journey :)

It's been about 4 and a bit years (maybe more) since I discovered probably my favorite means of creative expression through the creation of music. It started off when I was about in Year 12. I would spend countless hours just reading and learning about how it was possible to make studio quality music using only my computer. I would be studying the greats and cranking out my own beats on the eve of HSC exams until 3-4am. I guess it reflects on how well I did in school that year.

I believe it was time well spent as it gave me a hobby and passion which I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon, no matter how uninspired or lazy I can usually get.

This hobby hasn't taken me far, and I don't think it ever will, but I'm glad I found something that I love doing. I sincerly don't give a fuck if anybody hears my music or not, nor do I care what people think about it. I don't do this to "blow up" nor do I do it for any sort of monetary gain. Again I do it because the feeling of creating something you are proud of is very hard to describe.

I know I'm straying a little from the topic, but I don't think I've ever gone out in public without a Walkman, Discman, iPod etc. in my pocket since about Year 5 without feeling funny. During my time at uni I've had headphones on of some sort at least 75-80% of the time, WITHOUT exaggeration. I even have one bud in my ear during lectures playing DJ Premier instrumentals while I try to drown out the boring bullshit being "taught" to me that has done nothing but put me in $20k debt. Oh I guess it also grants me a piece of paper which makes me a more favored worker ant for the colony but that's another story.

The amount of hours that I've spent listening to music on the move is probably fucking ridiculous and I don't even want to think about such a number.

Back on topic - Here is the first beat I ever made. It sucks I know. At least its a proper 4/4 time signature which I had idea about back then. New stuff coming soon, maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment